Re: Proposal for new layout of the GNUstep website now online

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Proposal for new layout of the GNUstep website now online
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 21:37:58 +0200 (CEST)

> From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de>
> Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 20:43:58 +0200
>

> Am Mittwoch den, 9. Oktober 2002, um 18:39, schrieb Jeff Teunissen:
>
> > Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
> >
> >> As I wrote on 09/23/2002, I sat down and made a proposal for a new
> >> layout of the GNUstep website.
> >> It is now online here:
> >>
> >> http://www.sqar.org/gnustep/website-relaunch/
> >>
> >> some word thereto:
> >>
> >> I tried to make the GNUstep side look a little more friendly and
> >> relaxed
> >> (brighter colors, more space) while keeping the professional
> >> approach. I
> >> hope I succeeded.
> >
> > I think it looks less useful than the old design. It's not
> > straightforward, you have to search through the whole page to find
> > anything you want, and there is a _ton_ of dead space.
> >
> > Content is king: the rest is just window-dressing. A good design is easy
> > to ignore -- this one, isn't. The best design is the one you don't even
> > notice, because it's natural.
>
> Well, this is just the homepage of the website, the subpages would of
> course look more compact while not breaking with the general style
> (fonts colors etc.).
>
> To my understanding a homepage acts as the shopwindow acts to a store.
> You would not put all the stuff you have into your shopwindow and you
> would arrange the items neatly because the purpose of a shopwindow is to
> attract consumers. You just give an overview of all the stuff you have.
> The same way act the little boxes in my layout: they are teaser for the
> pages to follow.

A shop  window can be  a work of  art and attract people,  but there's
still the window, and it's not obvious that people come in and buy.

In this  respect, a bazar (suk)  is better, there's  no window, you're
directly in front  of all the products offered, you  can feel them and
touch them,  and once you have them  in hand (it's quite  easy to grab
them), you just have to discuss the price the the sell is done.

In particular,  while it's artistic to  present blocks of  texts as if
they were the steps of the  GNUstep logo, all the rest is awfull.  The
text is not readable (too  small), there is not enough contrast (black
on dark gray is not a  good idea), and there's this spacing emptyness,
not to speak  of the fact that one need to  scroll (for a shopwindow!)
and I would need to enlarge my window to see the whole width.

If we really  need to change the  look of the GNUstep web,  and if you
really want  to impress the GNUstep  logo, perhaps with  a very light,
enlarged version  of the logo in  background would be  enough, and the
text over it could have a more classical layout.

> But it is of course not all wrong what you and the others said. The
> design will go through an overhaul the next days and I try to bring all
> the advice "under one hat" as they say in Germany.

I   don't   see   anything   wrong   with   the   style   of   current
http://www.gnustep.org/   Even   better  is   the   text  version   at
http://www.gnustep.org/lynxversion.html

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/