Re: GNUstep filesystem spec

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep filesystem spec
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 07:24:10 +0100

On Wednesday, October 2, 2002, at 03:30  pm, Adam Fedor wrote:

Nicola Pero wrote:
I've added a documentation about the GNUstep filesystem layout, based on some documentation written by the LinuxStep.org crew, on CVS at

make/Documentation/filesystem.texi

Thanks - I appreciate the document - it's good to have clear documents
explaining to new people where things are, what the philosophy is etc.
But at a first reading, I see quite a few major things which need fixing
in the document.  I've started reading about domains.

There was some discussion about the Network domain on the list, although perhaps it wasn't definitive.

Also, this is how NeXTStep and MacOSX did it, not that that is definitive either.

I don't think NeXTstep did or MacOS-X does it that way. My recollection is that NeXTstep had two separate network areas ... one where remote servers/users are available, and one (primarily for diskless workstations) where a master server is mounted to provide libraries, apps and other resources.

Only the second of these areas makes sense as a 'domain' where we search for things.

I see no problem with combining the two areas into one ... except that it needs to be very clear that the servers and users are *NOT* in the domain in the sense that they won't be searched
to locate apps etc.