Re: Object environment for windows question

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Object environment for windows question
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:15:21 +0100 (BST)

> > Actually, you could rewrite Swarm to work on top of GNUstep ... replace
> > their custom basic classes with GNUstep ones, their custom libobjc with
> > the standard libobjc, etc ... <not sure how they would take it :-)>
> >

> This is what I wanted to do and as first I have to do is to get-into swarm
> library.
> Now it seems, from some discussions on their mailing lists, that their
> specific libobjc is needed no more.

This is very good.

> > No - there is no self extracting GNUstep-install.exe, you're supposed to
> > compile everything from sources, and it's difficult at the moment.
> >
> > But it could be made easy for end-users.  Once you've compiled everything
> > from sources on your machine and built binaries, I suppose you could then
> > create a self-extracting .exe file which just unpacks the (prebuilt)
> > binaries, ready for use.
> >

> Is there some 'make' target, like 'make install-exe'?

No - applications, libraries, etc all work in the same way as under
GNU/linux.

> Does an user have to install msys and gnustep or can it be statically
> linked (or included in the package)?
> In other words, what the user has to do to use GNUstep application?

At the moment, the user has to have gnustep installed in order to use
applications.  I suppose you could build self-extracting self-contained
applications which include the whole required environment ... but it
doesn't look very good.  Maybe better, you could have a separate
self-extracting .exe providing the GNUstep core binaries, DLLs etc, and
you would first install that, then you would be able to download something
like Gorm.app.zip.

This [packaging] might be a little tricky, but I would say what might be
really difficult is having the actual stuff working on windows :-)