Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows?)

From: Andreas Heppel
Subject: Re: The Path of GNUstep (Was: Re: Gnustep + mac + windows?)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:17:01 +0200

On 2002-09-24 00:14:57 +0100 Stefan Urbanek <urbanek@host.sk> wrote:

On 2002-09-23 23:34:43 +0200 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:
[snip]

Here I have to agree with Nicolas and I hate to say it, but today many people
are attracted by the look. That phenomenon does not apply only on the software.
Personaly I am fine with the next-look which does not distract me, but...

Many people will look on the outer shell without looking what is inside.
Sometimes it seems to me that in KDE or Gnome, the theming is the only thing
that you can do there (just look at the control panel, how many options you
have for configuring the look and feel and compare the m to other opptions).

Just another 0.02 cents on people being distracted by eye-candy.
Part of my job (the one for food and rent :-) is training people in developing
Linux drivers and embedded Linux. Of course, my training machines run Linux and
because about 98% of my audience are Windows people never ever having used
Linux I provide them the KDE desktop.
Whenever I have finished a training I am amazed about how the people in my
classes messed up those machines just by opening the control panel and changing
every f..ing option you have there. I usually wonder whether people really
listen to what I am teaching them while clicking their time away on all these
visual options KDE gives them.
Just my opinion on eye-candy and beind distracted by it...

Cheers,
Andreas