Re: switching xkb keymaps and GNUstep apps

From: rburns
Subject: Re: switching xkb keymaps and GNUstep apps
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:52:05 -0600

Thanks for the reply. After a bit of looking around I realized that my .bashrc had gotten deleted recently, and I had lost my GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING setting. That was most of my problem. But there is still a loud beep whenever switching keymaps, which doesn't seem quite right. Rob Richard Frith-Macdonald writes:

On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 07:41 AM, Rob wrote:
I updated my gnustep installation recently and found that switching xkb keymaps while using gnustep apps doesn't appear to work anymore. It registers as a beep .. which I guess means an error. Using the Keyboard Input test in GSTest, I can see that it registers as an 'NSFuntionKeyMask', and characters shows '<mode switch>'. the key in question is the right alt key. does anymody have any ideas about this?

I'm pretty ignorant about switching keyboard maps, but I do know that
on a PC keyboard, GNUstep expects to use the left alt key as the 'command'
key and the right alt key as the 'alt' key.
So the keyboard ought to be configured so that the right alt keys sets
the appropriate bit in the mask.
Nicola produced a utility to set keyboard mappings up quite some time ago,
and you should be able to find that in the mailing list archives. Don't know if this helps at all.