Re: Compiling gnustep-base-1.5.0 with OpenBSD3.1

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Compiling gnustep-base-1.5.0 with OpenBSD3.1
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 06:25:00 +0100

On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 10:34 AM, Ingo Brombach wrote:

Hello there,

I would like to try out Programming with Objective-C. I`m a OpenBSD User so I try to get the necessary things running with this OS. Following the HOWTO (except the version numbers) everything went fine, but while trying to get gnu-base (1.5.0) compiled under OpenBSD3.1 the following occurs:

source /opt/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.csh
./configure
gmake
(cd Source/Additions/static_obj/ix86/openbsd3.1/gnu-gnu-gnu;
        ar -vr subproject.o GSMime.o;ar -vr subproject.o GSXML.o\
)
gmake

The additional ar - run was a hint from Marek Behr who encountered similar problems with SGI IRIX 6.5.
then I get those error messages at the end of this message.

I think where you put 'subproject.o' above, you should probably be using the name of the GNUstep base library (its path is probably Source/static_obj/ix86/openbsd3.1/gnu-gnu-gnu/libgnustep_base.a)
so that you insert GSMime.o and GSXML.o into it.

I don't know why the build process isn't doing that automatically for you though.

Even with that change, I'm not sure that building GNUstep for static linking will work... but
I don't know BSD.