Re: GNUstep directory layout

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: GNUstep directory layout
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 19:48:56 +0200

Hi Adam,

Just just looked through the options you presented.
Proposal Combined is I guess the best option to go with, and ofcourse with
some comments:
* I would change DocTemplates to DocumentTemplates to be consistent with
all other directory names which are spelled out (that entire directory
should imho go into the Documetation directory since they are documents).
* I don't understand the Specific directory, what should go in there?
* Users doesn't belong in Network by default. By default Users are local to
a system, so they should belong in the Local domain.
* The same goes for Servers, and imho is there a big difference between
Servers and Tools? Is the destinction between CLI and Graphical not enough?
Do gpbs, gdnc and gdomap then become part of Servers?

But I think the most important thing I missed is the definition of the
domains. Without a clear description of what a domain means, one can argue
for ages. The above is based on my assumption that:

System Domain: Everything that is supplied by a distribution maintainer.
The contents are overridden by a Distro upgrade.
Local Domain: Everything that is installed by the local system
administrator (on Un*x systems: root).

Network Domain: Everything that is mounted from the network. As the NeXT
manual suggests, use <server>/<path> for this. Meaning you could get
/Network/<server-name>/Users or /Network/<server-name>/Applications

User Domain: Everything installed by a specific user in his/her own home
directory, which actually should be /Local/Users/<user-name> (on a Un*x
system is could be a symlink to /home).

This is how I view the system. And that restricts me in my choices for a
directory layout.
Comments welcome. Flame wars are useless... ;)

Dennis Leeuw