Re: gdb Objective-C patch

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: gdb Objective-C patch
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 08:35:18 -0600

One thing you might notice with the gdb snapshot is that it is extremely slow debugging Objective-C programs. This is not actually a problem with Objective-C, but a problem with programs that have shared libraries AND are linked with libpthread. You can see it even before applying the patch with the attached example.

I don't know if it will get fixed or not. For now, the only solution is to debug
with gdbserver, which is awkward, but faster. For example:

gdbserver :6543 myprogram args

and in another terminal:

gdb myprogram
> target remote :6543
{and start debugging...}

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you