Re: Segfault with GWorkspace ( again )

From: jordan muscott
Subject: Re: Segfault with GWorkspace ( again )
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 01:49:23 +0100

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:23:44 +0300 (EEST)
Enrico Sersale <enrico@www.imago.ro> wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, jordan muscott wrote:
>
>> hi all -
>>
>> i mentioned this a few weeks ago, but didn't get a solution, and now
>ive> come back to it..
>>
>> basically i get a segfault when launching GWorkspace.app. I build the
>> following from the source tarballs:
>>
>> gnustep-back-0.8.0
>> gnustep-base-1.4.0
>> gnustep-gui-0.8.0
>> gnustep-make-1.4.0
>> gnustep-objc-1.2.2
>> GWorkspace-0.3.6
>>
>> im using gcc 2.96 , windowmaker 0.80, XFree4.2, Mandrake 8.1.
>>
>> i built a debug build and here is the output ( ive never really used
>gdb> before so if i should be doing something different here please let
>me> know );

>I can't reproduce this, but, probably, after the changes of the last
>mounts in the libraries, some parts of gworkspace could be broken...
>
>After some days I'll release GWorkspace 0.4 that is much more stable.
>
>In the meantime, you can get the cvs version:
>
>export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.tuxfamily.org:/cvsroot/Gworkspace
>cvs -t -z3 checkout gworkspace

Ok i got GWorkspace from cvs, and the new gnustep core packages released
today, and the same problem occured. I also had to make a few small
changes in the GWorkspace code to get it to compile, moving the
declaration of id popUp to the top of - (void)showProcesses:(id)sender,
line 1723 in GWorkspace/GWorkspace.m , and the same with  NSSize size;
in the function - (void)activateForPath:(NSString *)path  , line 124 of
GWorkspace/Inspectors/Viewers/ImageViewer/ImageViewer.m     ...( i think
there was something else as well but i forget...).

Is this a gcc 2.96 vs gcc 3.x thing? Can you declare new variables
anywhere with Objective C with gcc 3.x? I ask out of complete ignorance,
seeing as yesterday afternoon was the first time i really looked at
objective c. It has been suggested in another thread that i use gcc 3.x
anyway, so i'll probably try with that..

regards, jordan.