Re: core/base build error

From: Ted Stern
Subject: Re: core/base build error
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:36:45 -0700

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> On Monday, August 19, 2002, at 10:31 PM, Ted Stern wrote:
>
>> sparc-sun-solaris2.8, gcc 3.1, latest CVS, error in core/base build:
>>
>>       NSNotificationCenter.m:45: duplicate member `_name'
>>       NSNotificationCenter.m:46: duplicate member `_object'
>>       NSNotificationCenter.m:47: duplicate member `_info'
>>       NSNotificationCenter.m: In function `-[NSNotificationCenter
>> postNotificationName:object:userInfo:]':
>>       NSNotificationCenter.m:1234: instance variable `_name' is
>> declared protected
>>       NSNotificationCenter.m:1235: instance variable `_object' is
>> declared protected
>>       NSNotificationCenter.m:1236: instance variable `_info' is
>> declared protected
>>       NSNotificationCenter.m:536: confused by earlier errors,
>> bailing out
>>       make[2]: *** [shared_obj/sparc/solaris2.8/gnu-gnu-
>> gnu/NSNotificationCenter.o] Error 1
>>       make[1]: *** [libgnustep-base.all.library.variables] Error 2
>>       make[1]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/users/stern/opt/src/gnustep/core/base/Source'
>>       make: *** [internal-all] Error 2
>>
>> Is this an include error on my part?  I can provide the complete include
>> search path if req'd.
>
> That would be interesting.
>
> I'd guess you are picking up an old NSNotification.h and can simply fix
> things by removing it ... but the makefiles should be setting the include
> path so that you pick up the latest header, so this should not be happening.

Well, I was "helping" the makefiles a bit by setting some extra include
paths.  This is necessitated by the peculiar environment I have to use here --
most of the extra software on our site is modularized, with each package in a
separate directory, and *not* located in /usr/local, /usr/lib, etc.
Unfortunately the configure scripts do not at present allow for --with-*-path=
for each required package, so I have had to fiddle quite a bit with gcc
environment variables and makefile variables to get all the -I, -L and -R
paths set up.

> The other possibility would be that you updated the .m file from cvs
> without updating the NSNotification.h file.

Thanks -- what did work was that I needed to remove
$GNUSTEP_ROOT/{Local,Network,System} and then do a complete reinstall of
core/make and then rebuild core/base.  Because this is solaris, of course, I
can't just get it to install using gcc -- I occasionally have to switch from
straight gcc to gcc configured with --native so the links won't segfault.
Fortunately we have both versions installed and I can switch between them when
necessary.

Ted
--
 Ted Stern                           Engineering Applications
 Cray Inc.                                http://www.cray.com