Re: Setter Gettor method style

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Setter Gettor method style
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 21:53:37 +0200 (CEST)

> From: "Christian Edward Gruber" <cgruber@israfil.net>
> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 07:15:48 -0400
>
> [...]
> Unfortunately untrue.  It is possible, and in a highly multi-processing box,
> [...]
> there.  It's not likely to fail, but it may fail.  If your code is
> multithreaded, then option number 2 is preferable.
> [...]
> No, this is not true if you are in a truly multithreading environment.
> [...]

I agree,  in multithreading/multiprocessing environments,  the GNUstep
library is not clean, and the return([[target retain]autorelease]); is
one step toward a more correct solution.

I note  that the new  desktop computers from  Apple all come  with two
processors.   While  that  does  not  imply  that  MacOSX  AppKit  and
FoundationKit  are multithreading-aware,  it's  probable that  they'll
move  this  way. (When  you  have  several  processors available,  the
incentive to use multithreading is greater).

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
 The name is Baud,...... James Baud.