Re: GNUstep, ObjC and non-Microsoft gui design.

From: David Dicanot
Subject: Re: GNUstep, ObjC and non-Microsoft gui design.
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 14:39:30 +0200

<x-para-attrib>0,0,0<x-tabstops>57L;115L;172L;230L;288L;345L;403L;460L;518L;576L;633L;691L;748L;806L;863L;921L;979L;1036L;1094L;1151LJe peux enfin lire mes e-mails!

> Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 23:
11:55 +0200
> From: Thierry Leurent <thierry.leurent@wanadoo.be>
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm the autor of the "famous" message "HowTo run a window into an other"....
>
> I discover Nextstep when Next try to sale the I386 version of his
> OS, I read few lines on a computer magazin. And I like lost of
> people, I follow the history of MacOSX.
>
> Five years ago, I discovered Linux and I installed WindowMaker. This
> is my second meet with Nextstep. Some weeks ago, I installed the
> packages of GNUstep. Now I try.
>
> I see that an application like MS outlook is missing in GNUstep. And
> I tell me "If I can create a container, small applications and
> display the second in the first. It's great". And I write the mail.

Why would you want to curse GNUstep users with a virus diffusion tool
such as MS Outlook?

If you want an email application, there's already GNUmail.app.

You could add missing email features to GNUmail.app (you have the
source!), or implement other features implementing other applications.
With DO and the services, the applications can be well integrated
(meaning, one application can use the services and objects of another
application).

> After reading the answers, I see GNUstep and Windows have not the
> same philosphy.
>
> I have some questions :
>
> Where can I find good documentation for GNUstep programming ?

Since GNUstep tries to implement the same API than MacOSX (OpenStep),
you can read the documentation of MacOSX:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Cocoa/CocoaTopics.html

About Distributed Object (DO), see:
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Cocoa/TasksAndConcepts/ProgrammingTopics/DistrObjects/index.html

If you have access to an OPENSTEP 4.2 system, you can as well read its
documentation and use its development environment to get a feel of
what we're after with GNUstep.

Of course, you should check http://www.gnustep.org/ where
documentation of GNUstep will be published as soon as it'll be
available.

http://www.gnustep.org/experience/documentation.html

> Where can I find a GNUstep gui design philosophy cours ?

The documents on the MacOSX site (Cocoa URL above) are complete. In
particular, "Aqua Human Interface Guidelines" may be useful, even if
they've added some MacOS quirks to the user interface.

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Essentials/AquaHIGuidelines/index.html

> If you must develop a clone of outlook for GNUstep, how you develop
> the common part ?

Thinking. Typing. Mousing arround.

> I'm sorry but i never use a Mac or a Nextstation in my live.

Hopefully, this won't be an impediment to use and develop for GNUstep.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__ http://www.informatimago.com/
David Dicanot ProxyWare
Software engineer 37 Bd des Capucines
Phone : +33 1 53 45 35 72 75002 PARIS
Fax : +33 1 53 45 35 98 Phone : +33 1 53 45 35 50

Begin forwarded message: