Re: HowTo run a window into an other

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: HowTo run a window into an other
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 20:56:45 +0200 (CEST)

> From: Thierry Leurent <thierry.leurent@wanadoo.be>
> Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:59:33 +0200
>
> Hello,
>
> I want make a application that you can launch with 2 different way :
> The first directly with openapp MyApplication.app : This is a normal
> window with menu, .....  The second form an other application with
> openapp MyContainerApplication.app : This launch the container
> application with his menu and inside the window of the container
> application 'MyApplication" like a panel.
>
> In the second solution, MyApplication.app must be a part of
> MyCountaunerApplication.app. My goal is develop some independent
> applications and use a container application to interface.

If what you want  to do is to have a SDI  user interface (instead of a
MDI user  interface) (SDI/MDI are  MS-Windows terms ; on  NeXTSTEP and
Macintosh we only have MDI),  then it's not possible with the OpenStep
API. (One cannot  imbed a NSWindow in a subview  ; NSWindow and NSView
are not superclass/subclass one of the other).

But if you  run on X window,  then you could launch a  Xnest X server,
and run your GNUstep applications on the X display served by Xnest.

If what you want is to  have "helper" applications, you could just use
DO to  communicate seamlessly between  your applications. Even  if the
active  application  changes,  the  homogeneity of  the  GNUstep  User
Interface let the users overlook that they changed application.

One trick you could use here  is to have the exact same menu hierarchy
in your family  of applications, and forward the  actions to the right
application.

Otherwise, if  you want to have  the views of  one application display
into the window  of another, I guess something could  be done with DO,
but that would not be optimal...

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/