Re: defaults randomly being overwritten?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: defaults randomly being overwritten?
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 06:00:50 +0200 (CEST)

> From: Ian Jones <ian@digital-bushido.org>
> Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 00:43:10 +0000
>
> Hello again,
>
> Further to my original mail about certain parts of my defaults that
> I had changed with my Preferences.app bundles being overwritten I
> just started GNUMail and it gave me the warning about having no
> settings, so I had a look manualy in my .GNUstepDefaults file to
> find that almost my entire defaults file had been deleted. This is
> VERY annoying :/ I only had GNUMail and Terminal running, neither
> presented a problem before I updated GNUstep from CVS the day before
> yesterday, though I have had defaults dissapear before not anywhere
> near as frequently or catastrophic as it was this time. I personaly
> (as Tim Harrison has already suggested) would like to see separate
> files for each applications preferences to save such things
> happening again then if one rogue application does something
> untoward you know which one it is as it only destroys its own
> preferences.
>
> Regards, Ian

That's not that I'm against  putting the defaults of each applications
in a different  file, but everybody should realize  that a bug similar
to that which erases the contents  of the common default file could as
well make each  application erase its own default  file, with finally,
the same result.   That is, instead of having  one damaged file, we'll
get  N damaged  files.  The  point is  that this  bug is  in  a common
library used by all these applications.

So,  I would say,  correct the  bug in  the library.   Don't otherwise
change existing code or add new code that could be as well buggy.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/