defaults randomly being overwritten?

From: Ian Jones
Subject: defaults randomly being overwritten?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:57:38 +0000

Hi all,

I have an unusual problem that seems to have manifested itself over the past 5 weeks (i was away the last 3 and didn't have my code working before now so I hadn't noticed it). My bundles for the Preferences.app save values in the user defaults. When I first had my code for changing the appearance working around 6 or 7 weeks ago there was no problem but then the way that colours were set was changed to use a colour list instead of being able to make a list in NSGlobalDomain of the things you wanted to change, I notice this has been re-introduced, but now every 2 or 3 times I open the Preferences.app my object / key values are gone from NSGlobalDomain{}. I thought it was something I had done incorrectly but after a good few hours of trying to findout where I'd gone wrong I decided to try my old version which did exactly the same :( Could anyone shead any light on this, I'm 100% sure it wasn't doing it before but suddenly anything I set there is being overwritten every second or third time I open the Preferences.app.

If someone wants to try the old version which I haven't touched in well..
before it stoped working as expected then you can get it here to try and
reproduce the problem.

www.3rddimension.digital-bushido.org/files/AppearanceBundle.tgz

Regards, Ian