Re: How ot build in separate directory

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: How ot build in separate directory
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 17:11:37 +0100 (BST)

> Thank you so much for your reply,
>
> I actually tried what you suggested beforehand, it doesnt seem to work
> because the Gnustep.sh file is in the wrong location (t's internal
> variables such as GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT are pointing to say
> /opt/GNUstep/System, instead of /tmp/someplace/gnustep/blahblah
>
> so compiling GNUstep-make goes great, but when I try to source in
> GNUstep.sh so I can build gui, base, etc, everything is messed up.

Ok - I'm not sure what the problem is - sure I know it can be very
confusing ... but in the end it *should* work because building RPM
packages does work in that way and well, it does work :-)

To build RPM package, the procedure is as follows -

 - start with a clean system

 - build the RPM package of gnustep-make (that will install it into
something like /var/tmp/gnustep-make, then build the package from what was
installed there)

 - install the RPM package of gnustep-make (that will install it into the
final location)

 - source GNUstep.sh

 - build the RPM package of gnustep-base (that will install it into
something like /var/tmp/gnustep-base, then build the package from what was
installed there)

 - install the RPM package of gnustep-base (that will install it into the
final location)

 - build the RPM package of gnustep-gui

 - install the RPM package of gnustep-gui

 - etc

I'm not sure how your packages work, but I think it's very likely that you
will need a similar setup -

 - start with a clean system

 - build the gnustep-make package

 - install it