Re: expanding and extending gsgd

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re: expanding and extending gsgd
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:17:43 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Nicola,

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:54:56 +0100 (BST) Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk>
wrote:
 >| I will probably need a graphical library to generate on the fly images
 >| displaying plots and graphical reporting - available both from ObjC and
 >| from Java - in the next weeks at work.
 >|
 >| I know that we have a dev-libs/gsgd library on CVS, which you wrote, which
 >| is an ObjC wrapper of libgd, but now seems unmaintained (or maybe it's
 >| just stable, it works, so no need to make changes to it).

It was stable but I haven't used it for something like 2 years

 >| Can I use that library and work on it, or is it better to start a new one
 >| (which will do the same, wrap gsgd, so it seems a waste to have two
 >| different ones) ?
 >|
 >| Warning - I will have some full days of work to dedicate on it, so I won't
 >| just make tiny changes - I need production quality software with lots of
 >| features and if that requires making big changes, I'll make them.
 >| Anyway, I'll do my best to build on your code and make it even better.
 >| I'll definitely add Java wrappers, and - I hope - full out-of-the-box
 >| plotting and charting facilities.

I don't know if someone else use it. Personaly, I think you can go on and
modify it (even deeply).

 >| Is gsweb using gsgd ?  What parts of gsweb and what parts of gsgd ?

No.

 >| I can start a separate project - but I thought if gsweb is using gsgd,
 >| then it might benefit from work I do on gsgd, so maybe you are actually
 >| happy if I work on it rather than starting a separate library. :-)

I'd prefer you work on it except if someone else really depends on it.

Happy coding.

Manuel
Manuel Guesdon - ORANGE CONCEPT <mguesdon@orange-concept.com>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0997  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998