RE: OS Suggestions?

From: Bissell, Tim
Subject: RE: OS Suggestions?
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:50:23 +0100

One inport

[...]
> > What I want to know is which OSs have the least problems with gnustep
> > (my preferred environment)? i.e. libraries, compilers (gcc
> 3.1?) etc.
> >
> > I'm considering:
> >
> > Debian linux.
> > FreeBSD.
> > (Possibly) Gentoo Linux.
>
> Debian Intel is definately ok ... I use it (I've used Debian
> powerpc and Debian  alpha too - but only for GNUstep base,
[...]

> In the past BSD has had some problems ... but it's probably ok now.

The main problem I encountered with FreeBSD was the lack of a decent
ObjC debugger - I mean one where you can go:

> br [MyClass myMethod:arg:]

and

> print [myObj description]

and

> bt
... [MyClass1 method1] ... file:linenumber
... [MyClass2 method2:arg:] ... file:linenumber

rather than mangled function names.
Or even stepping over a method call without the debugger hanging.

Which OSs support a gcc/gdb combination which allow this?  and what
versions of gdb/gcc are needed?  Are there any official/semi-offical
patches for gdb which support ObjC to the extent described above?

I couldn't find anything on www.gnustep.org

Thanks for any pointers -

Tim
TIm