Re: OpenStep & harddisk capacity

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: OpenStep & harddisk capacity
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 03:17:53 -0400

Richard van Paasen wrote:

> I have an OpenStep 4.2 system running on a AMD K6 system. Currently I
> have a 800 MB harddisk on which I installed OpenStep. However, I need
> more space. Does anyone have experience with mounting large disks in
> OpenStep? I plan to buy a 20 GB disk but before doing so, I'd like to
> know if OpenStep will be able to access it.

OPENSTEP 4.2 doesn't like filesystems bigger than 4GiB. It gets...cranky.

I tried installing OPENSTEP on a 4133MB drive. The second-stage installer
refused, thinking it only had 29MB free. The free space counter in the
filesystem (a 32-bit unsigned int) overflowed. Not only did the installer
not work, but fsck can't check a drive bigger than 4096MB. It crashes.

There's also likely to be a limit of 8GiB in total drive size in
OS4.2/Intel, because I doubt it can address that many cylinders.

If you can still find one, an "8.4GB" drive will likely work as two 4GB
partitions.