Re: GSXML

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GSXML
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 13:07:33 +0100 (BST)

> >>Reports of all such inconsistencies welcome ... the classes were
> >>originally written
> >>by someone unfamiliar with OpenStep, and while Nicola and I have put
> >>some effort
> >>into making them more consistent, the job is not complete.
> >>

> >Since you quote me, I need to correct you - as I already said in public
> >posts, I think it's not just a problem of consistency or of details ...
> >the GSXML classes and their API are basically flawed and should be totally
> >rewritten.
> >
> I think that's a bit misleading taken out of the context of the earlier
> discussion.
>
> The basic flaw in the GSXML classes is that they are based on libxml, and
> suffer
> the memory management problems of libxml.  This basically manifests if you
> want to
> use them to create XML, not for parsing.

The only thing which works properly is the SAX parser.  Everything else
(if used seriously) will leak memory, or crash.  Since the original
question was about something which is not the SAX parser, that seemed an
appropriate comment to make.

> The 'quick' fix is to change  the GSXML API to better reflect the limitations
> of the underlying libxml model,

This 'quick' fix would involve rewriting the API nearly from scratch, and
would break completely any program using GSXML for anything but SAX
parsing - so if you are planning on such a 'quick' fix it's just fair that
you tell people who are asking queries about the API.