Re: Apple: OpenGL to speed up Quartz Engine in next MacOS-X release

From: Saibot
Subject: Re: Apple: OpenGL to speed up Quartz Engine in next MacOS-X release
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 14:45:10 +0200

> >  I like the OGL
> > route, mainly because it is OS agnostic thus garanteeing identical
> > look and performance (as long as drivers perform equaly) on all OSes
> > that support OGL. That and the fact that it means only one backend to
> > maintain without having to care much about the platform (aside from
> > initial GL context creation).
>
> It's not that easy. You would not want the NeXTStep look on Windows for
> example.

Actually, I wouldn't mind at all. You can run OS 9 apps on OS X for
instance, and they keep the OS 9 look. When you run X applications on XFree
on windows, they don't look like windows applications. There certainly can
be a difference in look. After all, you don't expect a gnustep app to behave
like a windows one (well, I don't), so the visual difference can be an easy
way to let the user shift paradigm. Because that's what I think will hamper
the spreading of gnustep (the paradigm shifts).

I think it is not a good idea to make different looks depending on the OS
you run GnuStep on. First it would be a problem for the users who would have
applications looking different when ran on windows/linux/whatever, then it'd
be a developer nightmare when you're trying to do some custom stuff. For
instance when dealing with the sizes of windows, buttons, ...

> But at least we'd get something working. Which is definitely a plus.

That'd definately be a big plus :-).

Stephan