Re: NXConstantString problem in compiling gnustep-gui

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NXConstantString problem in compiling gnustep-gui
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 07:51:38 +0100

On Tuesday, April 30, 2002, at 08:31 AM, Jan Trembulak wrote:

I try to compile gnustep on my RedHat 7.1 system (gcc version 2.96).

I successfully compile gnustep-make and gnustep-base, but when I compile
gnustep-gui (0.7.5 or 0.7.0), I've got error:

Making all for tool make_services...
gmake[3]: Nothing to be done for `internal-tool-all'.
Making all for tool set_show_service...
gmake[3]: Nothing to be done for `internal-tool-all'.
Making all for svc example...
error: NXConstantString (instance)
NXConstantString does not recognize characterAtIndex:
gmake[3]: *** [example.service/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist] Error 1
gmake[2]: *** [example.build] Error 2
gmake[1]: *** [example.all.svc.variables] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/jano/Install/gstep_070/gnustep-gui-0.7.0/Tools'
gmake: *** [internal-all] Error 2
[jano@janolx gnustep-gui-0.7.0]$

How can I correct this error ?

thank you.

Options -

1. Remove the shared libobjc from your system so you link with the static version of the library.

2. Remove all libobjc from your system and install and use the one from the GNUstep ftp site or cvs.

3. Remove all libobj versions from your system, and install and use gcc-3 and use its libobjc.

While 3 is the most work, it's also the better solution as gcc-3 is a much better compiler and its libobjc is much more up to date. Actually, if you can get a good 3.1 snapshot that should
be best, as it produces significantly faster code.