Re: New release of libart/freetype-backend

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: New release of libart/freetype-backend
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:16:42 -0600

Alexander Malmberg wrote:
GSSet(Stroke,Fill)(Color,Colorspace)
aren't implemented since I don't know what they're supposed to do. None
of the other backends implement them, and gui never uses them. Why do
they exist?

That's for Quartz compatibilty. Quartz defines different colors for stroking and filling, mostly for convienience I suppose. Also see some of the GS functions in the Text section. I think some of this can be implemented in gsc, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

c.
What exactly am I supposed to do about view flipping? Does it belong in
the backend at all? Currently I just flip the y axis when drawing text
if viewIsFlipped is YES, and this seems to work.

I've always thought that was a big hack, but I'm not sure how to remove it. But yes, that's pretty much what you're supposed to do.

d.
How sophisticated should my font rendering be? Should I do kerning and
stuff in DPSshow:?

e.
To get good unicode coverage with all fonts, I've implemented a simple
fallback-font scheme. If a glyph can't be found for a character in the
current font, it will try to find it in the global fallback font and
render that instead. I'm considering extending this, but I'm not sure
it's the right thing to do. Should the backend try to always find a
glyph for a character (with different fallback fonts for different fonts
and stuff like that), or should it leave all that to -gui?

Well my current grand scheme ;-) is to have gui use Pango for text layout and rendering. The more I look at it the more it seems to fit right in and solve many many problems. Pango would do all this stuff.

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you