Re: Serious GDNC problem

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Serious GDNC problem
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:16:55 +0100

On Monday, April 22, 2002, at 11:00 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On Monday, April 22, 2002, at 10:48 AM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

Hi,

I am still having really serious problems with GDNC when running on XDM
session. When running on one machine, it is OK.

I have a tool sending distributed notifications and application
observing those notifications. Tool is sending those notifications to
one gndcserver and application is listening from another, so application
does not get any notifications.

So I have done this:

1. killed gdomap and all gdnc servers (yes, there were more)
2. restarted gdomap
3. run the tool - this will launch gdnc and register it as 'GDNCServer'

        > ps ax | grep gdnc
         9285 ?        S      0:00
/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/gdnc

4. run the application - this will lanch another gdnc server and
register it as
   'GNDCServer-some.host.name'

        > ps ax | grep gdnc
         9285 ?        S      0:00
/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/gdnc
         9374 ?        S      0:00
/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/gdnc -NSHost
        shine.dcs.elf.stuba.sk

Here you may see, that I have two gdnc servers runnging. Tool is using
first one and application is using the second one. So application cannot
receive distributed notifications from the tool.

Also when I restart the application, I have same problem as before:
application is waiting for something (gdnc?), but without any output
telling what is the app doing.

I have presentation on tuesday, and this is very important for me to
work.

Any help is welcome. Thank you,

Distributed notifications are supposed to be shared between different
applications on the same workstation, not between applications on
different workstations.

Just for clarification ... for pasteboard and notification purposes,
the machine that an app is 'on' is the machine on which its windows are
being displayed, not the machine where the process is running.

PS. Because the GNUstep implementation of NSDistributedNotificationCentre
uses distributed objects, it would be quite easy to implement another sort
of distributed notification centre which was shared between multiple
workstations and add a new type for use with the +notificationCenterForType:
method to give you one of those centres.

MacOS-X only has NSLocalNotificationCenterType ... for the local workstation.
I can see at least two other potentially useful types -
One for all processes running on the same physical host,
and one for all processes running on the same network.