Re: Application launching and pasteboard slow down

From: Chris B . Vetter
Subject: Re: Application launching and pasteboard slow down
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:24:04 -0700

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:45:14 +0100
Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> Not only do they not need their own copies, they can't have them,
> unless something is seriously wrong with your system.

Weird, but I'm just reporting what I see on my system ...

> > However - if a user logs off, gdnc and gpbs will keep running ... but
> > if he later logs back in, gdnc and gpbs again can NOT be contacted and
> > ANOTHER instance for both will be started (regardless of how they got
> > launched in the first place).
> No ... contacting these apps has nothing to do with users - they are
> reached via network ports (and therefore available to all users).

I'm aware of that. Again, I'm just reporting that after logging back in,
another instance for each will be started.

> If you are experiencing this sort of thing, it sounds like you have
> a badly broken system.  I guess some sort of incorrectly configured
> network or firewalling might conceivably cause this.

It's on my system at home. I've configured the startup for GNUstep to NOT
probe the network, there's no firewall, as I'm not connected. Networking
per se is doing fine, so I figure it's a problem with HOW I launch GNUstep,
that is gdomap, gdnc and gpbs.

The funny thing is, no matter how many instances of gdnc and gpbs
eventually run, everything is working fine (that is, DnD etc. works)

Btw. in any of the given scenarios, there will be only one instance of
gdomap.

gdomap is started during system-startup. When a user logs in, the ~/.xinitrc
(~/.xsession) fires up gdnc and gpbs as

    if [ `gdomap -L GDNCServer | grep -c Found` = '0' ];
    then
      $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Tools/ix86/freebsd/gnu-gnu-gnu/gdnc
    fi

    if [ `gdomap -L GNUstepGSPasteboardServer-sol | grep -c Found` = '0' ];
    then
      $GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Tools/ix86/freebsd/gnu-gnu-gnu/gpbs
    fi

"sol" being my machine's name. And yes, NSHOST is set in NSGlobalDomain.

If I move those lines above to GNUstep's startup script, both WILL be launched
(running with UID 0) - but as soon as I try to launch any
GNUstep application, a new instance of gdnc and gpbs for that user will
get launched as well.

gdomap is launched as

  PREFIX=$(expr $0 : "\(/.*\)/etc/rc\.d/$(basename $0)\$");
  IFFILE=${PREFIX}/etc/gdomap_if

  ${GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT}/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

  ${GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT}/Tools/ix86/freebsd/gdomap -a ${IFFILE}

gdomap_if contains a single line: 192.168.0.3 255.255.255.0

:0> gdomap -N
Registered names are -
  Gorm
  GDNCServer
  GWorkspace
  GNUstepGSPasteboardServer-sol
  GNUstepGSPasteboardServer-192.168.0.3
  GNUstepGSPasteboardServer-sol.foobar.org

Any ideas?

--
Chris