Re: NSZombie??

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSZombie??
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 06:09:26 +0000

On Tuesday, March 26, 2002, at 10:39 PM, Jonathan B. Leffert wrote:

Does the GNUstep runtime support NSZombies? I can't find any references to
it in Foundation/NSDebug.h or in the source to NSObject.

No ... it sets the isa pointer to 0xdeadface so any attempt to send messages to the deallocated object (before it is reused) will cause crash, and the reason
for the crash is obvious when you look at the object in the debugger.

I do occasionally think about implementing NSZombie ... but it offers very little improvement over the existing mechanism, and is not an official part of
the OpenStep or MacOS-X APIs, so I've never got round to it.