DPS Subject...Again

From: Chad Hardin
Subject: DPS Subject...Again
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:24:37 -1000

Being the developer for Simply GNUstep, which iI intend to be an easy to use GNUstep system, I'm especially interested in how the user will interact with the system. I would like a clean, GPL or even LGPL version of a postscript interpreter that is used for both displays printers (ie: using the same core ps system for both)

Ghostscript is locked down license wise and the DPS systems are using it under special agreements. DGS is progressing slow and The X11 DPS module is far from complete.

I would like to propose a new poscscript system, written from scratch, GPL or LGPL that is generic in nature so it can be used for all display output devices, not just for X11.
Specifically, I'd like to use this new interpreter in the directfb project, which is a great project.

My questions are:
1. Would the DGS backend have to modifies much (if at all) to use this new interpreter?
2. Would you support such a project (I believe GNUstep money of about $10000 has been spent on improving DGS in the past)

Even though i'm actively developing SGSTEP, my test builds take 6hrs, so I have the time to start on a basic interpretor during these builds. i'm currently reading the postscript language reference.

My vision is a GNUstep system which can optionally use directfb accelerated framebuffer suport and true WYSIWYG for printing/display via common methods.

Thanks!

Chad

http://www.sf.net/projects/simplygnustep