Interface Proposal: GUI design

From: Mondragon, Ian
Subject: Interface Proposal: GUI design
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:02:21 -0500

All -

    Since we're at a point in time where changing the look of Interface is easy (seeing as how the nice little widgets aren't even showing up :-), I thought I would ask everyone in the GNUstep community how you would like to see Interface *look*, as far as placement of window buttons goes.  Here are the main options as far as I'm concerned, at the moment:

# : minimize button
H : maximize button
^ : shade button
X : close button

1.  NeXT-style

        -------------------------------
        |#| window title            |X|
        -------------------------------

2. OS X -style

        -------------------------------
        |X|#|H| window title          |
        -------------------------------

3. some other style, i.e.

        -------------------------------
        |H|#| window title        |^|X|
        -------------------------------

4. your suggestion here...

  I personally favor the OS X -style layout, myself, for several reasons:

        - most of us read from left to right, so the buttons are
          located in a common "starting point" position
        - all buttons are in the same general location
        - further OS X-ness

  I use NeXT every day, and have used WindowMaker almost exclusively for years now, but I still think that having all button on one side is a Good Thing (TM).

  So...questions/comments/feedback?

- Ian

[NOTE: I appologize if my "Proposal" emails are irritating anyone, but I would simply like to obtain as much feedback from the GNUstep community as possible while working on Interface, so as to make it something we'll all find as usefull as possible]

@end

Ian Mondragon

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind." --Alan Kay