Re: Cocoa To GnuStep port questions

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Cocoa To GnuStep port questions
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:14:41 +0100

Am Montag den, 11. März 2002, um 13:38, schrieb Saibot:

- Did any of you already try to use a gcc modified with the apple patches to compile ObjC++ code that can run on windows/linux.

The Apple patched gcc's (2.95.2 an 3.1 experimental) on Darwin / OS X are the only compilers supporting ObjC++, AFAIK. You'd have to get rid of your C++ interface, e.g. by wrapping C++ into plain C, or to port NeXT runtime (the "objc4" module in Darwin) to Windows.

Both compilers principally work to compile GNUstep on OS X.

- Does GnuStep work on windows (I saw some notes about it on the website but couldn't figure out whether it actually works or not, especially since there is an item mentioning "port GUI to windows").

Obviously, before a Cocoa / NeXT fan (e.g. like me) touches the keyboard of a Windows box, (s)he prefers to set up and use a cross compiling environment and test the stuff on Virtual PC.

In theory, using XFree86 and xgps should work to get GNUstep with GUI on Windows running, but I'm neither aware of a success story nor of the opposite.

For an experienced Windows programmer, it might be only a matter of a few weeks to get a basic native backend on Win running, ...

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/