GNUstep Weekly Editorial 08-03-2002

From: dennis
Subject: GNUstep Weekly Editorial 08-03-2002
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 04:11:09 +0100

Welcome

   Welcome to the GNUstep Community website. As with every community
   there are some shared interests and some common goals. The interest
   part is [1]GNUstep, the best Object Oriented development environment
   around, and the goal is world domination.

   For world domination we need software and documentation and that is
   what this site is about.

                            Editorial 8 March 2002

   Your editor watched a dupication of work this week. It's a little app
   called CDPlayer then seems to be unmaintained for a while. And now we
   suddenly have two versions:
   ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/usr-apps/cdplayer-020110.tar.gz and
   http://www.collaboration-world.com/gnustep/CDPlayer-20020306.tar.gz,
   maybe those two projects should be working together. For those of you
   wanting to know where the original resides:
   http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley/5605/gnustep/cdplayer.html

Mailing lists

   A little discussion wen on about http://chimera.mozdev.org/, which
   however neeeds Objective-C++, when are we gonna see that in GCC?

   Richard mentioned: "After much messing around, I think there is now
   something like stable code in place for handling the locations in
   which user defaults and user files are to be found." So we can start
   testing that.

   With first the layout of the gnustep-make roadmap Nicola later came
   with a little cheerful message:
   "Just timed CVS HEAD gnustep-make building out internal tree and the
   makefile machinery runs fast - 'make all' inside an already compiled
   tree takes approximately half of the time it takes with 1.2.1. The
   benefits of this are particularly evident upon make install."

Code changes

   As mentioned above Richard and Nicola have been working hard on the
   gnustep-make package to make it more user friendly, better
   maintainable and faster. Nicola also took care of the gsweb make
   files.

   Richard hacked his way through several bugs in gnustep-base fixing the
   SSL bundle, and applying fixes send in by Alexander Malmberg.

   Gregory John Casamento & Pierre-Yves Rivaille cleaned up the code in
   gnustep-gui for NSTableView and NSOutlineView. While Nicola and
   Richard applied pathes by Stefan Urbanek and Alexander Malmberg.

   Richard made the gnustep-xgps Middle mouse button code compliend with
   that from MacOS X and wondered why the Mac OS guys and girls didn't
   use the GNUstep naming scheme, just for compatibility sake.

   Manuel Guesdon did a lot of changes to the gsweb code.

   On GORM Pierre-Yves Rivaille added GormNSBrowser and GormNSWindow and
   NSTableView & NSTextView objects contained in NSScrollView are now
   added. Connections to and from those objects are now available.

   Happy Stepping,
   Dennis Leeuw