Re: Preferred build tool

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Preferred build tool
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 06:05:29 +0000

On Saturday, March 2, 2002, at 09:57 PM, Gregory Martin Pfeil wrote:

As I'm looking at porting ObjcUnit from OS X, I was wondering what you guys think is a more suitable build tool.

I was raised on make, and used it exclusively until a few months ago when I was put on a Java project. Although I initially balked at ant, I've found it to be much cleaner and generally better than make.

Should I stick with make for ObjC stuff, or is ant acceptable these days?

Obviously, given the mailing list you are posting to, I'm a bit partisan ...

Use the GNUstep make package ... ot really does make using makefiles very easy, and provides a very powerful framework (in recent versions extremely fast too).

It's rather like moving to Objective-C ... you get great simplicity and power, but can drop back to the original language to do various hacks if you really
want to.

PS. you might consider porting gnustep-guile/Greg to MacOS-X
instead ... I looked at junit documentation, and it seems a bit
inflexible and slow :-)