GNUstep Weekly Editorial 01-03-2002

From: dennis
Subject: GNUstep Weekly Editorial 01-03-2002
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 06:51:40 +0100

Welcome

   Welcome to the GNUstep Community website. As with every community
   there are some shared interests and some common goals. The interest
   part is [1]GNUstep, the best Object Oriented development environment
   around, and the goal is world domination.

   For world domination we need software and documentation and that is
   what this site is about.

                            Editorial 1 March 2002

   Have you all seen the new layout of the GNUstep web-site
   (http://www.gnustep.org). It's cool. Nice work Philippe C.D. Robert.

Mailing lists

   The most suprising thing to me is the current efforts of writting a
   &quote;real&quote; GNUstep window manager. Let's see which one will
   become the default; WOOM or Interface. And speaking about duplicating
   work: On the distribution front there is another distribution for
   GNUstep coming. First we had SimpleGNUstep by Chad Hardin and no we
   also have LinuxSTEP. Apparently there are some ithches that other
   distribution makers do not seem to scratch...

   Stefan Böhringer is preparing an article for the German C't magazine

   Richard mentioned that he has gnustep-base working on Windows XP using
   MingW

Code changes

   Nicola Pero went on with the changes in gnustep-make. A lot has
   changed. And the File System Hierarchy discussion on the mailinglist
   has resulted in the change of the Apps directory in Applications.

   Richard Frith-Macdonald added a lot of changes to make gnustep-base to
   happy it on MingW, while Adam Fedor added NeXT and Darwin objc header
   compatibility. Write once compile everywhere is a bit closer

   Nicola applied a lot of patches send in by people to gnustep-gui, most
   notably those send in by Alexander Malmberg. He also rewrote the
   keybinding engine to be a full blown keybinding engine.

   Pierre-Yves Rivaille added support for Scroller mice. Great!

   Fred Kiefer, Adam Fedor and Willem Rein Oudshoorn all had their hands
   in gnustep-gui and gnustep-xgps to clean up the code, add
   functionality and make overall life much easier.

   Happy Stepping,
   Dennis Leeuw