Re: Introduction, and Proposed GSFH.

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Introduction, and Proposed GSFH.
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:20:58 +0100

On Thursday, February 28, 2002, at 07:23 PM, Tim Harrison wrote:

Hey Nicola.

Nicola Pero wrote:

Ok - so I'll answer just to make sure you know the technical points.  I
will try not to take part in the following flame thread (I'll try to do
some coding instead), so whatever you answer, don't expect a reply.

My only answer is:

Thank you. That was exactly the information I would have wanted to know. :)

No flaming from me. :)

Ok, I'm taking over (just kidding ;-)! Actually on FOSDEM I started the same discussion as you did, but Helge and Nicola insisted that frameworks are a bad idea (not portable, etc.) and actually do not function any different to what GNUstep achieves with libraries. Technically, Nicola provided an excellent insight into the technicallities. From a functional aspect, the GNUstep implementation is even superior compared to Apple's in the way that versioning actually works. No joke. There's a longstanding bug in the way that Apple's frameworks always refer to the resources of the current release, not the actual release. Yesterday I checked the NSBundle code (for that porting issue) and peeked at the current code which takes care of that issue. Cool stuff.

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com