Re: Interface 0.1a Available

From: Ian Mondragon
Subject: Re: Interface 0.1a Available
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:27:29 -0500

Tim -

  Hurm...interresting list of problems...and thank you for reporting them so
quickly (and for trying out Interface!!!).  So here we go...

> Installation failed.  The error was as follows:
>
> /usr/bin/install -c  -m 0755 \
>          shared_obj/interface \
>          ~harrison/GNUstep/Tools/.
> /usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file
> `~harrison/GNUstep/Tools/.': No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [install-tool] Error 1
> make: *** [interface.install.tool.variables] Error 2

did ~/GNUstep/Tools/ exist?  that on kind of befudles me, but i don't believe
that's actually Interface-related.  sounds like a problem with your GNUstep
stuff...but anybody, please correct me if i'm wrong.

> I changed my .xinitrc to run Interface WM, and it started up without a
> hitch.  Of course, I didn't add anything else, so I was stuck looking at
> my pointer. :)  I ctrl-alt-backspaced out of X, added an rxvt terminal
> and wmsetbg to .xinitrc, and started up again.  Bingo.  Background, and
> a term.

yeah...i forgot to mention that i haven't built in any native image
image handling code.  i've always used WindowMaker, so i've been using the
'wmsetbg' command to get my backgrounds up. <grin>

> So far so good.  Then I figured I'd hop onto the #GNUstep channel, to
> let everyone know that it was running.  In trying to run XChat, the X
> server bombed out, and I was left back at a prompt, with several
> messages on the console with coordinates.  None of them seemed to be an
> error message.  I tried running XChat from .xinitrc, and got the same
> results.

now i'm starting to get confused...i'm running XChat right now and having
no problems at all...

> Running Mozilla 0.9.8 gave me the same behaviour.

...and i'm running Mozilla 0.9.8 too...

> Giving up on anything that was not GNUstep specific, I started X up
> again, and ran Ludovic's Affiche.app.  Affiche popped up without any
> problems at all.  In fact, it seemed much faster than it did with Window
> Maker.  That was a nice treat.
>
> However, it was not to last.  Upon moving my rxvt terminal to a
> different part of the screen, X crashed once again.

this is even more confusing.  but i do use *aterm* all the time.  let me
check out what rxvt does real quick...<install port>

...nope.  rxvt works just dandy for me.  i'm thoroughly confused now.  and
slightly upset, becuase i sure hope that this is an *isolated* case of this
many problems.

what's your setup in general?  OS? version? GNUstep version?  blah?  perhaps
someone out there with a similar setup could help...or perhaps *this* could
help out:

- start up your normal window manager

- recompile/install interface, but this time with "gmake debug=yes"

- start up Xnest like this: "Xnest :1 &".  this will start a second X
  server in a window, on display :1

- in a terminal, open up interface in gdb: "gdb interface"

- start interface in the nested X server: "set args -d :1"

- run interface: "r"

now you should have Interface up & running within Xnest.  open up a terminal
and try to replicate your situation there.  if it crashes on you, send me the
trace (type "where" in gdb and copy/paste into an email), and the core if it
gets created.

again, thank you very much for reporting this so quickly.  hopefully, more
people will do the same & we can get Interface to a stable state fairly soon.

*DEVELOPERS* - patches are welcome and encouraged!  i would love to have this
become a community project...after all, a *pure* GNUstep environment would
be a beautifull thing. :-)

- ian mondragon

--
@end

Ian Mondragon  - < copal @ dragonhelix . org >

< h t t p : // d r a g o n h e l i x . o r g >

<<<<  xMach Core Team - ian @ xmach . org >>>>