Re: import vs include Re: Porting autogsdoc to OSX

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: import vs include Re: Porting autogsdoc to OSX
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:15:37 +0100 (CET)

> From: Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk>
>
> On Wednesday, February 27, 2002, at 09:21 AM, Helge Hess wrote:
> > BTW: it is not required by the API of Foundation that HTTP URLs are
> > supported ! This capability can easily be added by another library.
>
> It's true that the API doesn't actually specify that any particular URL
> schemes be implemented,
> but in fact MacOS-X *does* implement this stuff, and the class is rather
> useless otherwise.
>
> >> So ... far from breaking portability, inclusion of this functionality
> >> is critical for ensuring
> >> portability with MacOS-X (and we're looking at making this stuff
> >> readily usable from MacOS-X
> >> apps as well as just usable internally by the base lbrary).  Ok, it's
> >> not portable with the
> >> (effectively dead) OpenStep spec.
> >
> > No, MacOSX compatibility is absolutely required, I agree. What I fear
> > (and this already has happened) is that internal API besides Foundation
> > (as specified by MacOSX API) is exported.
> > I see a huge potential in gstep-base for becoming bloated. In my
> > opinion it should be Foundation, nothing more.
>
> Well, bloat is a danger ... we are tracking MacOS-X and I think their
> Foundation is perhaps becoming bloated.
> I don't see any reason for all the apple scripting code being in
> Foundation, and we haven't added that yet
> (though I guess we might).

AppleScriptKit is not included in Foundation. There are separate frameworks.

AGL.framework/
AppKit.framework/
AppKitScripting.framework/
AppleScriptKit.framework/
AppleShareClient.framework/
AppleShareClientCore.framework/
AppleTalk.framework/
ApplicationServices.framework/
AudioToolbox.framework/
AudioUnit.framework/
Carbon.framework/
Cocoa.framework/
CoreAudio.framework/
CoreFoundation.framework/
CoreMIDI.framework/
CoreMIDIServer.framework/
CoreServices.framework/
DVComponentGlue.framework/
DirectoryService.framework/
DrawSprocket.framework/
ExceptionHandling.framework/
Foundation.framework/
GLUT.framework/
IOKit.framework/
InterfaceBuilder.framework/
JavaEmbedding.framework/
JavaVM.framework/
Kerberos.framework/
Kernel.framework/
LDAP.framework/
Message.framework/
OpenGL.framework/
PCSC.framework/
PreferencePanes.framework/
QuickTime.framework/
ScreenSaver.framework/
Scripting.framework/
Security.framework/
System.framework/
SystemConfiguration.framework/
vecLib.framework/

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around