Re: Porting autogsdoc to OSX

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Porting autogsdoc to OSX
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:13:09 +0100 (CET)

> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Marcus_M=FCller?= <znek@mulle-kybernetik.com>
> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:47:25 +0100
>
> On Tuesday, February 26, 2002, at 05:31 PM, Adam Fedor wrote:
>
> > Since we are talking about a limited number of files (in this case,
> > only autogsdoc, and the XML parser files), and at least autogsdoc files
> > always have '#include <Foundation/Foundation.h>', we could put in
> > something like
> >
> > #ifdef MACOSX_COMPATIBILITY
> > #import <Foundation/Foundation.h>
> > #else
> > #include <Foundation/Foundation.h>
> > #endif
>
> Well, I read through the archive (as Nicola proposed) and now do
> understand the problems with #import. The above proposal would certainly
> be feasible in the example of autogsdoc, but then again every GNUstep
> application would have to use such a construct in order to maintain Mac
> OS X compatibility - not that desirable I guess. Isn't there a better
> way to do it? (One that could convince more people to adopt such a
> mechanism)
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Marcus

Why not write a script  that would add #ifndef/#define/#endif into the
headers  from Apple?  (Well,  this would  not work  if some  source is
#including  twice  the  same  header  for some  reason,  like  some  C
programmers like to do. Perhaps that's  why they don't want to go back
to  #include at  Apple's,  otherwise it  would  be quite  easy to  sed
's/#import/#include/g' everywhere).

Otherwise, my first idea would  be to avoid using directly the headers
from Apple, but use some "compatibility" headers.

----------------(compatibility/Foundation/Foundation.h)-----------------
#ifndef compatibility_Foundation_Foundation_h
#define compatibility_Foundation_Foundation_h
#import </System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/Foundation.h>
#endif

And  use -I$(somewhere)/compatibility  before  the foundation  include
that would then be shadowed.

Same for AppKit.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around