ANN: GNUMail.app 1.0.0pre3 / Pantomime 1.0.1

From: Ludovic Marcotte
Subject: ANN: GNUMail.app 1.0.0pre3 / Pantomime 1.0.1
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:03:32 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

After weeks of efforts, I'm glad to announce the release
of GNUMail.app 1.0.0pre3 and Pantomime 1.0.1.

Here's a list of what changed since the last release of
GNUMail.app

- now able to specify a source for the signature (from
  a file or an external program) ;
- it's now possible to move and copy messages between
  mailboxes (copy was added) ;
- added support for smart attachment placement ;
- now able to Compact mailboxes (permanently remove
  deleted messages) when the user wants to or when
  closing a mailbox ;
- support of HTML mails under GNUstep (by stripping
  HTML codes) ;
- now able to select which font is used for the headers
  and for the content of the message ;
- added bundles support for extending the functionality
  of GNUMail.app w/o recompiling the application. A simple
  "Clock" bundle is provided as an example ;
- reworked some parts of the UI to increase the usability
  of the application ;
- added the support for the Drafts folder (to save un-sent
  messages) ;
- added messages sorting support (by date, subject, size,
  number, etc.) ;
- fixed bugs and improved the performance.

You can download GNUMail.app 1.0.0pre3 here:

http://www.collaboration-world.com/gnumail

You can also see a screenshot for GNUMail.app 1.0.0pre3
running under GNUstep here:

http://www.collaboration-world.com/gnumail.data/screenshots/v1.0.0pre3/GNUMail-1.0.0pre3.gif

and under Mac OS X here:

http://www.collaboration-world.com/gnumail.data/screenshots/v1.0.0pre3/GNUMail-OSX-1.0.0pre3.gif

Here's a list of what changed since the last release of
Pantomime:

- added support for four new charsets: koi8-r, kio8-u
  windows-1251 and windows-1252 ;
- added comparisons support to the Message class ;
- added a fast caching mechanism for local mboxes ;
- rewrote the reply method in the Message class ;
- refactored some methods, fixed bugs and improved
  the performance.

You can download Pantomime 1.0.1 here:

http://www.collaboration-world.com/pantomime/

This release should work well with GNUstep and
with Apple Mac OS X. There's still some minor issues on OS X
since it hasn't been as tested as the GNUstep version (my
primary development/target platform being GNUstep). I would
like to seek for contributions for the OS X port in order to
improve the overall quality of GNUMail.app on this platform.

For GNUstep, GNUMail.app/Pantomime have been tested with
GNUstep GUI/XGPS 0.7.5 and also the CVS version of GNUstep.

A MacOS X binary should be available in a couple of hours
from the website.

I would like to thank the following people who greatly
helped me getting this release done by sending me
patches, suggestions and bug reports:

Luis Garcia Alanis, Dale Amon, Martin Brecher,
Erik Dalen, Alexey I. Froloff, Francis Lachapelle,
Alexander Malmberg, Stephane Peron, Quique, Vincent Ricard,
Nicolas Roard, Bert Schellekens, Abhijit Menon-Sen
and particularly Pierre-Yves Rivaille.

Again, feature requests, patches, bug reports are
all welcome!

Thanks a lot,
                Ludovic

--