Re: Mandrake 8.1

From: David Relson
Subject: Re: Mandrake 8.1
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:33:07 -0500

At 06:21 AM 2/22/02, you wrote:
>         Hi Caleb !!
>
>         The problem comes from gcc 2.96. It doesn't work with GNUStep.
>
>         You can install  gcc 3.01 with the mandrake 8.1 ... so do it.

well.. i couldn't find any rps for it, so i just grabbed some fresh source for gcc 3.03 from gnu.org
i rebuilt everything going through and doing make clean before rebuilding.

Caleb,

I went through the bother of rpm upgrading yesterday morning. I call it that because of the various dependencies involved... With the installation of gcc3-3.0.4-0.4mdk, GNUstep core compiles and is running perfectly.

According to /var/log/messages, I installed the following:

 gcc3.0-cpp-3.0.4-0.4mdk
 gcc3.0-3.0.4-0.4mdk
 gcc3.0-c++-3.0.4-0.4mdk
 libobjc3.0-3.0.4-0.4mdk
 gcc3.0-objc-3.0.4-0.4mdk

 binutils-2.11.92.0.12-6mdk --- gcc wanted updated binutils
 libbinutils2-2.11.92.0.12-6mdk
 libdb3.3-3.3.11-7mdk
 glibc-2.2.4-24mdk

 setup-2.2.0-23mdk --- needed because of glibc update
 initscripts-6.40.2-25mdk
 proftpd-1.2.5-0.rc1.4mdk
 glibc-devel-2.2.4-24mdk

The rpms can be found on cooker mirrors, a.k.a. mandrake-development. In my case I used the wgeet command to get them from the ftp server at indiana.edu. To simplify things, I used the following one line shell script:

wget -nd -c "ftp://ftp.uwsg.indiana.edu/linux/mandrake/mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/$1*";

Good luck!

David