Re: GNUstep on Mac OS X and Win98

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Mac OS X and Win98
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:53:45 +0000

> But - you guess it: my friends almost all use Windows boxes. No
> chance to move them forward to use *BSD or Linux.

As an interim step, there are still a lot of copies of WO 3.5 for
Windows floating around, plus also the original pre-release versions
of YellowBox for Windows - both of which will compile and run OpenStep
applications under Windows fine. This is still the only way of actually
deploying OpenStep code under Windows unfortuntely, and you do run into
lots of frustrating lisencing issues trying to actualy obtain copies for
sale to customers.

For personal use, however, it works fine.

-bat.

PS: For deploying apps under Windows you need to make sure your application has
    at least oneopen window when it launches - else theres nowhere for the
    menus togo! This is the biggest "gotcha" I came across trying to compile
    and run OpenStep code under Windows.