Greetings; Mac users?

From: Brent Gulanowski
Subject: Greetings; Mac users?
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 01:44:13 -0500

Hi, just wanted to announce my intention to begin lurking this list.

I was amazed to see the questions "What is the difference between Carbon and Cocoa?" in the archives. It made me wonder, "How many of the people involved have access to Apple hardware?" I'm interested to know how many NeXTstep and Cocoa developers are following/contributing to GNUstep.

As for me, I've been using Macs for ten years and Mac OS X since ... well, semi-productively since the beta, but I did install OS X Server probably about two years ago. I've been spending time here and there learning Cocoa when I get time away from work and CS studies.

My main interest in GNUstep is that it would mean that gaining serious Cocoa/ObjC knowledge would have value outside of OS X products (both Open and closed). I love the Mac, but I don't want to be hemmed in. I'm also fascinated by Obj-C/NeXTstep, so if writing code for both is doable, I'd be very happy. It would be great also to write Obj-C code modules that could run on Darwin/OS X with interfaces for Aqua *and* X11, especially if you could choose which one you wanted dynamically. And GNU/Linux, too!

Well, I look forward to observing and contributing in any way I can.

Cheers,

Brent
--
Brought to you by Mail on Mac OS X. Think Different.