Re: 2-bytes character display ready ?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: 2-bytes character display ready ?
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:29:06 +0000

On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at 11:53 AM, Pete French wrote:

In PostScript, a 'string' is explicitly defined as an array of integers,
each in the range 0 to 255 ie an array of bytes.

Hmm, so how are characters outside that range represented ?

I think that's already been answered a couple of times, including in the email
you quoted.
Either you switch font objects to get a different character encoding, or you send
characters in the format of pairs of 8-bit values.

Are they
in UTF-8 ?

No.

The DPSshow() function is a convenience for simple nul terminated C
strings ... and can't pass the full set of postscript strings we need to use.

Could we not treat the argument as if it were UTF-8, which is then backwards
compatible with ASCII and doesnt require an extra interface ?

Not if we want to retain compatibility with things like the X dps extension. In fact, I'm not sure that DPSshow() is ok to send 8-bit data ... it may only
be for ascii.

Basically we need to pass binary data to the show operator ... and DPSshow()
doesn't let us do that.