Re: 2-bytes character display ready ?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: 2-bytes character display ready ?
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 23:37:17 +0100

Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

  I asked this question several months ago,
  and when I check the xgps source code recently,
  I found in XGFont.m, two "FIXME" say it might be able to support 2-bytes
character.
  I would like to know is GNUstep ready for 2-bytes character display ?
  If it can be done by only modifing the xgps backend,
  I would like to try it out with my limited ability.
  As least it is easy for me to test the 2-bytes display.

Sorry, we still don't provide the full Unicode text information from the front end to the back end. Actually the GNUstep developers at the FOSDEM have just been discussing this last weekend. And somehow I once again failed to make my point. So for the next time, we have to live with the PostScript interface between these two modules, which only allows for ASCII sized characters. Just to repeat this: The problem is more in the interface of the back end than in the backed itself.

The good news here is that we agreed at FOSDEM to allow for a special method for NSBezierPath to be handed over to the back end more efficiently. So as the others made already one compromise in the pure PS interface, they will (after some more lobbying) surely allow for more.

Cheers
Fred