GSIMap and poor NSArchiver performance

From: Pierre-Yves Rivaille
Subject: GSIMap and poor NSArchiver performance
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 18:20:45 +0100

Hi,

it seems like there is a performance problem, when using GSIMapEmptyMap within NSArchiver.

GSIMapEmptyMap calls GSIMapCleanMap. GSIMapCleanMap does a lot of operations on the map buckets to be able to send a release to every key and every value. But all those costly operations are useless within NSArchiver because GSI_MAP_RELEASE_KEY GSI_MAP_RELEASE_VAL are set to empty.

I encountered this problem with a CVS version of GNUMail : the NSArchiver was archiving a graph of around 17000 objects and GSIMapCleanMap was taking around 5sec to clean everything on a p850.

I managed to make a quick fix for this, but it's so ugly I won't submit it.

        Pierre-Yves