Re: Proposition for a Gorm feature Was: Gorm too complex ?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Proposition for a Gorm feature Was: Gorm too complex ?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:41:56 +0100 (CET)

> From: "Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf" <Lars.Sonchocky-Helldorf@bbdo-interone.de>
> Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:34:29 +0100
>
> No! Why: because hardcoded Interfaces might look ugly or be rendered
> unusuable on different Plattforms (that is in this case GNUstep and Cocoa)
> I can show you some screenshots of GWorkspace on Cocoa that look really
> ugly (no Mac User would accept this). What you can do in such a situation
> is ifdefing the geometrics or have a .nib file for Cocoa and a .gorm or
> .gmodel for GNUstep. Guess which solution is easier maintainable. (even if
> converting nibs is a pain in the ass)
>
> Greetings, Lars

He he ! Right.

But  that's  one  more  problem  you have  with  InterfaceBuilder  and
Gorm. They store fixed coordinates in their NIB or gorm files.

On the other hand, in my "hardcoded" interfaces, I make liberal use of
sizeToFit: and other automatic layout techniques.

In the  end, it's less work because  I don't have to  do anything just
because some traducer added a  new localized strings file. As you have
it currently  with Gorm  and Interface builder,  you need to  tune the
interface even in that case. Too much work for me.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around