Re: .gorm vs .gmodel

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: .gorm vs .gmodel
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:26:20 +0000

On Monday, February 11, 2002, at 10:02 AM, Stephen Brandon wrote:

Hi,

sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am (still) puzzled about the
difference between .gorm and .gmodel files.

Let's say I use nib2gmodel to convert some nibs to gmodels for an app or two. If these gmodels sit in the same directory as the nibs, then if I compile on GNUstep instead of MacOSX, will the gmodel files get automatically picked up
and used instead of the nibs?

Think so ... I'd have to check ... certainly that should be the case.

And with gorm files, does the same thing apply? If they sit, for example, in
English.lproj, do they get picked up in the same way as nibs?

Yes. I *think* the preference is to use a .gorm first and a .gmodel if no
.gorm file exists.

So what I am asking is if GNUstep is able to natively use gorm and gmodel
files as nib replacements.

Yes.

And if that's the case, are the gorm and gmodel files actually of identical
format?

No.
A .gorm is like a .nib ... an archive of objects using the standard NSCoder
stuff - storing all relevent ivars such that objects can be reproduced
exactly. The .gmodel format tries to abstract out the logical characteristics
of objects in a system independant way.  It has to have additional
encoding/decoding methods written for each class.  It tries to achieve a
degree of portability between GNUstep and OPENSTEP/MacOS-X

Lastly, is it possible in any way to open gmodels in Gorm.app for editing?

Not until someone writes one. It *should* be reasonable to have Gorm read/write gmodels - I don't see any difficulty in it (but I'm not very familiar with the gmodel format) - it might involve a loss of information in comparison with .gorm files, but I'm sure that the .gmodel could be extended to deal with that.