Announce GWorkspace 0.3

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Announce GWorkspace 0.3
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 21:53:58 +0200 (EET)

Changes:

- Bundles:
  to help the OS X port, all the viewers and inspectors bundles are now
installed in the main GWorkspace's bundle. If you have used old GWorkspace
versions, even if this should not be necessary, remove
$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT/Library/GWorkspace.

- Services
  Implemented the methods of the NSServicesRequests protocol.
This means that, for example, the user can select a folder and use the
"List and view directory's pictures" service provided by ImageViewer.app
to view all the image files in that directory.

- Preview while dragging:
  while dragging, the position that a dragged icon will have on its
destination, shelf, desktop, etc., is previewed with a "ghost" image of
it.

- Positions on the shelf:
  The shelf now uses a grid to remember the position where an icon was
put. This means that the user can order the icons as he want. Resizing of
the shelf will not change the order.

- NSWorkspace collaboration:
  Implemented [selectFile:inFileViewerRootedAtPath:] (and other methods),
to allow the NSWorkspace class to use GWorkspace as its
"_workspaceApplication".

- Viewers:
  All the viewers are now bundles.
This to permit an easy development of new viewers.
GWorkspace wants *absolutely* to keep the *step look & feel, but, to test
new solution/variations, I need a practical system to not broke the
existing viewers.
In the long run, only two or three of them will remain, but, now, i need
this to test new solutions.

Added a new viewer.
It was thought for small monitors (and hardly wanted by my wife that has
newer accepted our Mac/Linux swap ;-)  ).
The Small Icons Viewer uses 24x24 icons, scaled and then cached by
GWorkspace.
It is not 100% done but works...
Graphically, I think that it is compatible with the GNUstep look & feel.
Anyway, any comment is welcome...
(for this to work you need the latest GNUstep CVS sources).

- Preferences window:
  Added a "Viewers" preference view where the user can choose which viewer
bundle to load. (ex. if you don't like the "small icons viewer", you can
unchoose it).

- Watchers:
  Due of its good working, the file system watching system is now active
by default. Taken away its preference from the preferences window

- Bugs:
  Tons of bug fixed!
  I'm wondering how could so many bugs live in a single program... :-)

GWorkspace is at:
www.gnustep.it/enrico/gworkspace
www.imago.ro/gworkspace