Re: Graphite

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Graphite
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 19:57:28 +0100 (CET)

> From: Chad Hardin <cehardin@mac.com>
> I've also just started on a Carbon API called Graphite.  I'm taking a
> different approach than Apple though.  The goal is to have the Carbon c
> functions utilize GNUstep APIs by subclassing or rewriting GNUstep
> classes (like NSApp). This effectively will create a c binding for
> GNUstep, and all Carbon Apps which are recompiled will be actual GNUstep
> apps.
>    If anybody has any pointers about how this concept will/will not work
> please feel free to bring them up.

The concept can work. The only  difficulty is in the details, you have
to  implement a  lot  of  stuff.  However,  since  we're working  from
sources, and  for a binary API, it  should be easier to  develop and a
couple of missing functions is not catastrophic, and you don't need to
support baroque stuff.

You've probably noted that the Macintosh ToolBox is object-oriented in
its design. GrafPort <- Window <- Dialog

            Control <-+- Button

                      +- Scrollbar

etc, so you have an easy correspondance of concepts.

May be  the most delicate  part will be  the event loop,  since you'll
need to have, at least conceptually, both an OpenStep event loop and a
Toolbox event loop.

Do you want to support MacOS  resources too? Or have a tool to convert
some of them into Gorm files?

You'll probably want to provide  a function to get the OpenStep object
underlying a  given Toolbox object,  to ease further migration  of the
code  from the  Toolbox to  OpenStep. I.E.  once compiled  a Macintosh
application with  Graphite, one may want  to add a  couple of NSWindow
and use the Objective-C objects lying under a toolbox Control or Text.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around