Re: NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle.. again

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle.. again
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:40:52 -0500

Björn Gohla wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 February 2002 08:00, Daniel Patrick wrote:
>
> > I've been playing with the NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle menu's again.  I
> > have managed to convince resize and drawing to take horizontal menu's
> > into consideration when doing their thing.  I've also added tear-off
> > menu's, using a small strip along the top of submenu's.  Is it big enough?
> >
> > At this point, an apple-type menu could be placed at the upper left of
> > the screen.  I don't think it serves any real purpose in OSX, it's a
> > good place for the Apple logo to sit.  I suppose it could contain the
> > contents of Local/Apps and System/Apps as an easy laucher.  Does anyone
> > think puting a (GNUstep) logo'd menu there would cause any problems,
> > legal or otherwise?
> >
> > The menubar could be extended across the whole screen, but it seems
> > pointless until NSSatusBar and NSStatusBarItem have been ported.
> > NSStatusBarItem has not yet been documented by Apple, and they seem to
> > be discouraging it's use...  Anyways, when (if) these get ported, an
> > App could duplicate the function of OS9's  running-apps drop-down and
> > display the current app as a default.  I'll start on them as soon as
> > I'm comfortable with that sort of work..  Maybe tomorrow. ( ;
>
> i think you are getting into areas there that are classically the
> windowmanagers domain. how about a windowmaker status applet (or a
> window manager independent x client) that can embed gnustep menus.

I disagree. We need that functionality if a GNUstep app (be it GWorkspace or
something else) is to portably get the same functionality as Workspace
Manager's "Processes" screen.

In addition, I'm not aware of ANY window manager with functionality like
you're looking for. Even KDE apps draw their own menus when they're in "Mac"
interface mode. It's Qt that does the actual drawing (not the window manager),
but the KDE apps don't even know where their menus are being drawn.