Re: Objective C++ Status

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Objective C++ Status
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 00:28:09 +0000 (GMT)

> > >Apple has offered to contribute Objective-C++ to a future version
> > >of FSF GCC, but the GCC Steering Committee, whose charter includes
> > >decisions about whether to include new languages in FSF GCC, has
> > >yet to say whether or not they would accept it.  The Steering
> > >Committee and its members are described at gcc.gnu.org; if you
> > >want ObjC++ in FSF GCC, please lobby them, either as a group
> > >or individually.
> >
> > What about an "official" GNUstep inquiry on this topic? I think we could
> > need ObjC++ a lot (many apps for Cocoa will use ObjC++ in the future, if
> > we want to port them, we will need ObjC++), but I think it is better if
> > GNUstep as organisation lobbies than just "unimportant" individuals.

Don't understate the importance of lobbying a free software project as
individuals ... it's difficult for GCC people to realize how many users
different languages or features of the compiler have.  If they receive one
mail asking for Objective-C++, or if they receive ten, or fifty, that
makes a difference.  They don't have many ways of knowing how many people
would be interested, but for the emails they receive.  So if you are
interested, I suggest that you write to them and tell them - just plainly,
as an individual, write an open letter to gcc@gcc.gnu.org explaining why
you'd like Objective-C++ in GCC.

> Sure, it couldn't hurt.  Who speaks for the GNUstep organization?

Adam Fedor could speak.  Many gnustep developers have already expressed
their support for Objective-C++ `as individuals'.  I suppose a short
statement from Adam that the GNUstep project supports the inclusion of
Objective-C++ in FSF GCC wouldn't hurt.