[Repost] gnustep.gui and RedHat 7.1 - Thank You - Suggestion

From: Mario Martelli
Subject: [Repost] gnustep.gui and RedHat 7.1 - Thank You - Suggestion
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 09:33:27 +0100

Hi,

I'd sent this via the newsgroup, but it had never reached the mailing list, so
I repost it here, to make sure, that my 'thank you' reaches not at least the
people who helped me ...

regards Mario

Thank you to everybody who gave me information to solve my problems with
the GNUstep installation and thank you to all of you for writing this
fantastic framework, this cool applications and the documentation.

Last weekend, I managed it to compile gnustep-gui from the
latest-snapshot (19.1). I was confused which step helped me: using gcc3
or using the latest snapshot. So I ran some compilations today:

Don't know if this information is useful for anybody:
I didn't managed it, to compile gnusstep-gui-0.7.0 -- not with egcs and
not with gcc3.
With the latest snapshot (25.1) it was no problem with egcs.
Using gcc3 didn't work either, but I think that is my fault (I'm running
Linux since 12/2001 [:)] ).
[REPOST COMMENT: ok, now I know, that I've to build the whole libs with gcc3 -
I'll try this now :) ]

Using GNUstep for a week now, brought up an idea:

I'm using the Apple Newton. In fact was the Newton my only one computer
for years. The Newton has similiar roots as GNUstep has and GNUstep is
missing an Contact-Management application. I would like it to use an
GNUstep-PIM and synchronize it over TCP/IP with the Newton. As I've
learned it is possibble to write GNUstep applications in JAVA and due to
knowing a little of Java and NewtonScript, I would like to start such a
project. As I have not so much spare time (job, house, family) I ask you
in participating in this. Anybody interested?

regards Mario
--
// http://newton.rules.it (sounds like "it", but it is "de")